Donald Trump becomes the first US president to be impeached for a second time – live
- Full report: Trump impeached a second time
- McConnell indicates he is open to convicting Trump
- US Covid deaths hit one-day high
- AOC thought she ‘was going to die’ during Capitol attack
- Kamala Harris: how will the next vice-president wield her power? Join the Guardian for a live conversation on 18 January
The violent attack on the US Capitol last week followed a Donald Trump speech in which he told his supporters to “fight” for him. “If you don’t fight like hell you’re not going to have a country anymore<’ Trump told his supporters. “You’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength.”
And yet yesterday, in Alamo, Texas, Trump again insisted: “If you read my speech … people thought that what I said was totally appropriate.”
Trump, as others in his party have done, also tried to chastise both sides for the violence, despite the fact that it was his supporters who led the attack last week.
This year, he said, “we have seen political violence spiral out of control. We have seen too many riots, too many mobs too many acts of intimidation and destruction. It must. Whether you are on the right, or on the left, a Democrat or Republican. There is never a justification for violence. No excuses. no exceptions.”Continue reading...