What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

England’s Alexandra Hartley pens emotional note after announcing ‘indefinite break’ from cricket

Brexiter

Alex-Hartley.jpg
England’s star player Alexandra Hartley has made what she considers the toughest decision of her life. The 2017 ODI World Cup-winning cricketer announced taking an indefinite break from cricket. Opening up about this decision on her ‘BBC No Balls’ Podcast, Hartley expressed the immense difficulty she faced in stepping away from the game she adores.

It is worth mentioning that the left-arm spinner debuted for the national team in 2016 and played a crucial role in England’s World Cup victory against India at Lord’s in 2017. Although Hartley represented the national team last in March 2019, she has remained an integral part of the North West Thunder team in domestic cricket. Notably, Hartley announced her departure from the game on the podcast, which she co-hosts with her Thunder teammate Kate Cross.

“I’ve stepped away and it might be for a month and it might be forever. I’m not putting a timeline on it because I don’t know how I’m going to feel tomorrow or the day after. I have felt like a different person, I have felt flat and I’ve not felt like that bubbly character that I normally am and that person that is excited to go to cricket,” said Hartley on her podcast.

After disclosing the decision to take a break from the sport, Hartley also went on to pen an emotional note where she revealed how grappling with mental struggles over the past few months have affected her passion for cricket.

“Stepping away from cricket has been the hardest decision I’ve ever made. Doing it for this little girl who fell in love with the game. Doesn’t mean it’s over, I have absolutely no doubt I’ll be back stronger than ever. Thank you for all the messages, they mean the world,” The 29-year-old’s tweet read,” wrote Hartley sharing her childhood photos on Twitter.

This article was first published at WomenCricket.com, a Cricket Times company.

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back