What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Fritz Storms Into St. Petersburg SFs

Brexiter

Taylor Fritz produced an impressive performance on Friday at the St. Petersburg Open, overcoming John Millman 6-4, 6-2 to reach his second consecutive tour-level semi-final.

The American, who celebrated his 24th birthday by defeating Tommy Paul on Thursday, rallied from a break down in the first set and won 73 per cent (19/26) of his first-serve points to advance after 74 minutes.

“It feels great. I came out and played really well today,” Fritz said in his on-court interview. “I knew what I had to do and I did it and I played well and I am happy to be in the semi-finals. There was a really important point [at the start of the second set] and I won that point and I carried the momentum from there. It was a really important break.”

[FOLLOW ACTION]

Fritz is yet to drop a set in St. Petersburg and arrived at the ATP 250 event in form, having defeated World No. 4 Alexander Zverev en route to his first ATP Masters 1000 semi-final in Indian Wells earlier this month.

The fifth seed now leads Millman 2-0 in their ATP Head2Head series and is into his sixth tour-level semi-final of the season, with the World No. 28 also advancing to this stage in Doha, Cagliari, Los Cabos and Atlanta.

Fritz will next face Jan-Lennard Struff after the German upset second-seeded Canadian Denis Shapovalov 6-4, 6-3 in 81 minutes.

Struff was strong on serve, winning 88 per cent (22/25) of points behind his first delivery to improve to 5-2 in his ATP Head2Head series against Shapovalov. The 31-year-old has fond memories in St. Petersburg, where he also advanced to the last four in 2017.

“Denis is an amazing player, so the victory means a lot to me, to reach the semi-finals here for a second time," Struff said in his on-court interview. "He beat me pretty easily in Dubai. He played very good and I didn’t play very well, so I knew I had to put a lot of energy into the match today and I did. I was serving well and returning well, so that was the key.”

Earlier this season, the World No. 53 enjoyed a run to his first tour-level final on home soil in Munich.

Back