Asked to bat first, GT posted a massive score of 214/4 courtesy of an impressive inning from Sai Saudharsan (96 off 47 deliveries). However, rain interrupted CSK’s innings, resulting in a revised target of 171 in 15 overs for them.
After being overs cut short to 15, CSK achieved the target on the final ball of the innings, thanks to an explosive performance and sensational finish by Ravindra Jadeja. With ten runs needed from the last two balls, the all-rounder smashed a six and a four to help CSK secure their fifth IPL title and equal Mumbai Indians’ (MI) record for most league titles.
The conclusion of the T20 extravaganza’s final was followed by an award ceremony to honour the star performers of the tournament. While Shubman Gill bagged the orange cap for the most runs in IPL 2023, Mohammed Shami won the purple cap for the most wickets in the season. Notably, Gill amassed 890 runs in 17 matches, including three centuries. On the other hand, Shami picked 28 wickets in the season.
On that note, let’s review the complete list of award winners and the prize money distribution in the 16th edition of the world’s biggest cricket league.
Star performers of IPL 2023:
- Winners: Chennai Super Kings
- Runners up: Gujarat Titans
- Orange Cap (Most runs): Shubman Gill (890 Runs)
- Purple Cap (Most wickets): Mohammed Shami (28 Wickets)
- Emerging Player of the Year: Yashasvi Jaiswal (625 Runs)
- Super Striker of the season: Glenn Maxwell (183.48 strike rate)
- Most Valuable Player of the Season: Shubman Gill (Three centuries and four fifties)
- Game Changer of the season: Shubman Gill (Highest individual score of 129 in playoffs)
- Most fours of the season: Shubman Gill (85 fours)
- Longest six of the season: Faf du Plessis ( 115 metres)
- Catch of the season: Rashid Khan (covered 28 metres to dismiss Kyle Mayers of LSG)
- Fairplay Award: Delhi Capitals (141 points in 14 matches)
- Best pitch and ground of the season: Eden Garden and Wankhede Stadium
For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.