What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

All the winners of ICC 2022 Awards announced; Babar Azam and Nat Sciver sweep top honours

Brexiter

Babar Azam, Natalie Sciver
The top performers across the men’s and women’s international game were honoured in this year’s ICC Awards.

From an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup to multi-format women’s series and a host of Test and limited overs action, 2022 was a year of highlights and stunning individual efforts.

Among the categories revealed on ICC’s digital channels were the prestigious Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year and the coveted Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year.

Pakistan captain Babar Azam was announced the winner of Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy and the Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year award, while England all-rounder Nat Sciver emulated the feat by clinching the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy as well as scooping the Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year prize.

Elsewhere, England skipper Ben Stokes was named the ICC Men’s Test Cricketer of the Year and Richard Illingworth has been confirmed the ICC Umpire of the Year. Nepal wicket-keeper Aasif Sheikh was honoured in the Spirit of Cricket category.

Reacting to the awards, Babar said: “I feel humbled to have been voted as winner of the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy and join the ranks of some of the most iconic and respected names who have previously won the biggest and most prestigious individual award in our great sport. I continue to look up to these players as well as champions of the past for inspiration, motivation and improvement.

“As cricket is a team sport, this recognition and achievement would not have been possible without the overwhelming support of my family, team, fans and the institution, to all of whom I am greatly indebted and thankful.

“Every match I played for Pakistan has been special and memorable, but the most satisfying and accomplishing aspect for me was to compete and perform in front of my home fans against Australia, England and New Zealand’s touring sides. Of course, reaching the finals of two major tournaments in the United Arab Emirates and Australia were also some of the highlights for me and my team, and we hope to do better this year, which is going to be equally demanding but highly rewarding,”
Babar told icc.tv.

Sciver reflected on a momentous year in her reaction, adding: “It’s lovely to have been awarded the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year, especially as Rachael was such a legend of the women’s game in England and Wales. It’s always a privilege to be given individual honours but no personal achievements are possible without the hard work and togetherness of the whole team. Picking up a trophy or a medal is all the more special when you do it alongside your teammates so hopefully that’s what 2023 has in store.”

“It means a lot to have been awarded the ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year. It’s funny that two of my standout moments in ODI cricket in 2022 came in losing causes. It’s a cliche, but I would happily swap individual honours for team success because they are the moments you really remember. Congratulations to my fellow award-winners and thank you very much for the award.”

Here’s the complete list of winners for ICC Awards 2022:​

• ICC Umpire of the Year – Richard Illingworth (England)
  • ICC Men’s T20I Cricketer of the Year – Suryakumar Yadav (India)
  • ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Year – Tahila McGrath (Australia)
  • ICC Emerging Men’s Cricketer of the Year – Marco Jansen (South Africa)
  • ICC Emerging Women’s Cricketer of the Year – Renuka Singh (India)
  • ICC Men’s Associate Cricketer of the Year – Gerhard Erasmus (Namibia)
  • ICC Women’s Associate Cricketer of the Year – Esha Oza (UAE)
  • ICC Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year – Babar Azam (Pakistan)
  • ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year – Nat Sciver (England)
  • ICC Men’s Test Cricketer of the Year – Ben Stokes (England)
  • Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year – Nat Sciver (England)
  • Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year – Babar Azam (Pakistan)
  • ICC Spirit of Cricket Award – Aasif Sheikh (Nepal)

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back