What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

Ashes 2023: Here’s why Australia include Queensland star wicketkeeper-batter Jimmy Peirson in the squad

Brexiter

Jimmy Peirson
Jimmy Peirson, who has impressed at domestic and Australia A level for Queensland, on Friday, received an Australia call-up as a replacement for backup wicket keeper-batter Josh Inglis for the Ashes. Inglis will travel back to Australia after the first Test at Birmingham for the birth of his first child with partner Megan. Peirson has been roped in as his cover.

Peirson will be back up for Australia’s regular wicketkeeper Alex Carey until Inglis returns to the squad for the rest of the five-test series against England.

Peirson has over 3000 runs in first-class cricket at an average of 34.75, with six centuries in the Sheffield Shield tournament. He is now rewarded with a call-up to the senior Australian Squad. He also scored an unbeaten 128 playing for Australia A against Sri Lanka A and helped his team to chase the target of 370 in the 2nd unofficial Test at Hambantota in 2022 (June 21- June 24). In the 2022-23 Sheffield Session, Pierson continued his sublime form and hammered 460 runs in ten matches with two centuries.

Speaking to Espncricinfo last year, Peirson said he knew competition for wicketkeeping spots was tough but wanted to ensure he left no stone unturned in pushing his case.

“Obviously there’s an away Ashes next summer. I’d love to get over and play some sort of cricket in England. I’ve played premier league cricket quite a few years ago now but would love to experience those conditions again and develop my game. If I don’t play Test cricket that would be a frustration, but all I can do is when I’m done, sit in my armchair and know that I did everything I could.” Peirson said.

Regarding the Ashes, Australia holds the urn after winning the last series 4-0 at home in 2021-22. The first Test of the upcoming five-match series starts at Edgbaston on Friday (June 16). Ahead of that, Australia face India in the World Test Championship (WTC) Final at The Oval on Wednesday (June 7).

For latest cricket news & updates, visit CricketTimes.com.

Back