What's new
The Debate And Political discussion Forum

Brexit may have begun but it is not over, indeed it may never be finished.

SF Preview: Top-Seeded Frenchmen Fils, Van Assche Meet In Jeddah

Brexiter

Friday evening's semi-finals at the Next Gen ATP Finals presented by NEOM will see a pair of first-time Lexus ATP Head2Head meetings. First is an all-French battle between Arthur Fils and Luca Van Assche, followed Hamad Medjedovic vs. Dominic Stricker.

[1] Arthur Fils (FRA) vs. [2] Luca Van Assche (FRA)​

Top seed Fils and second seed Van Assche played once before at the junior level, in 2021. In the final of Roland Garros, their home Grand Slam, Van Assche earned a straight-sets victory. By becoming the first Frenchmen to reach the semi-finals in the six-year history of the Next Gen ATP Finals, they have set up another high-stakes encounter in Jeddah.

Fils enters as winner of the Green Group with a perfect 3-0 record. This year's Lyon champion leads the field in both second-serve points won (60%) and return games won (9 of 35, 26%). Van Assche, who finished second in the Red Group at 2-1, is second in return games won (9 of 37, 24%) but has faced a tournament-high 37 break points, saving 31 of them.

With three matches under their belts, both players are now accustomed to the innovations and new rules on trial at the event — including no on-court warm-up and a reduced shot clock.

"It is exciting to have new rules and I am adapting after three matches," Van Assche said. "I think most of the rules are pretty cool. The no warm-up is a bit difficult."

[3] Dominic Stricker (SUI) vs. [6] Hamad Medjedovic (SER)​

While Stricker and Medjedovic are not countrymen, their relationship goes back many years to their early junior days.

“I’ve known Dominic for a long time,” Medjedovic said after beating Arab hope Abdullah Shelbayh to secure his semi-final place. “He’s a great player and a great guy obviously. I think it’s going to be a great match and I’m happy to be in the semis.”

The Serbian leads the Jeddah field in a number of key metrics on both serve and return, including aces (45), service games won (37 of 39, 95%) and points won against first serve (32%). Those numbers added up to a perfect 3-0 record and a first-place finish in the Red Group.

Stricker posted a 1-2 record in the Green Group and advanced with a better percentage of sets won (45%) than Italians Flavio Cobolli and Luca Nardi, who were also 1-2. While he has not sustained top form so far in Jeddah, he has the advantage of experience: The lone returning competitor at this year's Next Gen ATP Finals, Stricker also reached the semis last season in Milan. He has picked up considerable big-match experience since then, with a run to the US Open fourth round that helped him achieve a career-high Pepperstone ATP Ranking of No. 88 in October.

For all the top-level matches the four Jeddah semi-finalists have played this season, none have had the opportunity to compete under the bright lights of the Next Gen ATP Finals title match. That reward — a chance to put the perfect cap on a breakout season — is on the line Friday night.

Back